This section describes how nuclear weapons work and the science behind them. This section also introduces the fundamental concepts of atomic physics including the concepts of isotopes, atomic number, and radioactivity. The effects of a nuclear weapons are also explained, along with two example scenarios of a nuclear explosion over a city.
- Atomic Physics
- Review the basics of the atom, Einstein's famous equation, and various types of radiation.
- Effects of Nuclear Weapons
- Examine the thermal radiation, blast and human effects of nuclear weapons.
- Nuclear Fission
- Learn about nuclear fission and how the first atomic bombs worked.
- Example Scenarios
- "What if" scenarios of nuclear explosions on various U.S. cities.
- Nuclear Fusion
- Explore the science behind the hydrogen bomb and learn the "secret" of the H-bomb.