Timeline of the Nuclear Age
Events of the...
- The "plum-pudding" is disproved by the gold foil experiment by Ernest Rutherford, when he discovered the nucleus of the atom.
- Marie Curie receives a second Nobel Prize, this time in Chemistry, for the isolation of radium and polonium and for her investigation of their chemical properties.
- Niels Bohr publishes theory of atomic structure, combining nuclear theory with quantum theory.
- Albert Einstein publishes the general theory of relativity. The theory proposes that gravity, as well as motion, can affect the intervals of time and of space.
- June - Rutherford bombards nitrogen gas with alpha particles and obtains atoms of an oxygen isotope and protons. This transmutation of nitrogen into oxygen was the first artificially induced nuclear reaction.