Timeline of the Nuclear Age
Events of the...
- Frederick Soddy observes spontaneous disintegration of radioactive elements into variants he calls "isotopes."
- Ernest Rutherford and Soddy publish theory of radioactive decay.
- Becquerel shares Nobel Prize for Physics with Pierre and Marie Curie for 1896 discovery of natural radioactivity.
- Rutherford discovers that alpha rays are heavy positively charged particles. In 1908, he is awarded a Nobel Prize in Chemistry for his work.
- J. J. Thomson proposes the "plum-pudding" model of the atom. In it the atom is envisioned as electrons surrounded by a soup of positive charge, like plums surrounded by pudding.
- Albert Einstein publishes the special theory of relativity regarding convertibility of matter and energy (E=mc2).