Atomic Physics Module
- Define isotope.
- What is the relationship between the atomic mass number, the atomic number, and the number of neutrons in a nucleus.
- What does E=mc2 mean?
- How many protons and neutrons are in Plutonium 239?
- How much energy is released in the total conversion of 10g of mass into energy? How many megatons of TNT equivalent are released?
- What is an alpha particle? What is a beta particle?
- What is meant by the half-life of a radioactive substance?
- What is spontaneous fission? Why is it important?
- Iodine 131 is a prominent fallout particle. After undergoing beta decay what element does it become?
- When uranium 238 decays by alpha particle emission, what nucleus is formed?
- Plutonium is usually the radioactive material used in the primary of a hydrogen bomb. If we eliminated all of our existing nuclear weapons today, and then Stored the plutonium, how long would it take for this stockpile to decay to one-quarter of its original amount? To one-sixteenth? Is there anything we can do to speed up this process? (Pu 239 has a half-life of 24,400 years).
- Why is an antineutrino needed in beta decay?